C-CoMP Travel Policy
The use of certified U.S. flag carriers is required by the National Science Foundation, except under limited circumstances. If in doubt or you have questions, contact Kim Ray (email@example.com). We cannot reimburse flights that do not meet these conditions.
The lowest priced airfares (economy base, supersavers, apex or economy coach or other) shall be selected consistent with the employee's reasonable convenience for departure and/or arrival needs. Should you wish to upgrade with miles or by purchase, it will be your cost and will not be reimbursed by C-CoMP.
Class of Service
Economy, non-refundable class air travel will be used exclusively, except when this would:
- Require traveling at unreasonable hours.
- Require circuitous routing.
- Significantly increase the duration of the flight.
- Result in additional costs which would offset the transportation savings.
- Offer accommodations which are not reasonably adequate for the physical or medical needs of the traveler.
We will reimburse Economy, Non-refundable flights only. Costs in excess of the basic least expensive, unrestricted accommodation class offered by commercial airlines are not allowable when using federal funding.
Uber, Lyft and taxis should provide receipts with total paid, including tip, date, pick-up and drop-off locations.
If you decide to drive your personal vehicle, the 2023 IRS mileage reimbursement rate is 65.5 cents per mile.
Travelers will be reimbursed by the distance driven according to the following guidelines:
- When the destination is within 250 road miles of the departure place, the traveler will be reimbursed for actual miles driven for business purposes at prevailing mileage rates plus applicable tolls and receipted parking fees.
- When the destination is beyond 250 road miles of the departure place, the traveler will be reimbursed the applicable mileage rate or an amount not to exceed the most economical airfare + $25, whichever is less at the time of travel between the major airports nearest your departure and destination. This latter amount is in lieu of other surface transportation costs which would have been incurred if air transportation had been used. The fixed meal allowance will be limited to the same time period which would have elapsed had air transportation been used.
>>We strongly encourage attendees to consider convenient, more climate-friendly, and less costly public bus or shuttle options that are widely available versus rental cars. During the meeting, local transportation will be provided between the hotels and the meeting venue.<<
If you decide to rent a car, you are highly encouraged to carpool.
- For those carpooling with you to Woods Hole and back to the airport, you will be reimbursed the cost of the car rental not to exceed the amount of $100 per person or the actual cost of the rental whichever is lower. You must list names of those carpooling with you.
- Example: If you choose to rent a car at the cost of $350, but only have two people in the car (roundtrip), you will only be reimbursed $200.00.
- Example: If you choose to rent a car at the cost of $350 and have four people in the car (roundtrip), you will only be reimbursed $350 (the actual cost of the rental).
- If, at time of planning air travel, your flight is scheduled to arrive in Boston or Providence after bus service ends for the day, please contact us for guidance. We may be able to arrange a shuttle or other service to accommodate pick up.
C-CoMP Meeting, Workshop or Event Meals
During meetings, workshops or similar events, C-CoMP will provide most meals. For meals not provided by C-CoMP you will be reimbursed a set amount, based on WHOI’s Domestic Per Diem Rates (see below). Attendees may request per diem reimbursement for meals associated with travel.
WHOI Domestic Per Diem Rates
Breakfast – $10, Lunch – $17, Dinner – $30
- No receipts are needed for meals.
Foreign Per Diem Rates
- For foreign per diem rates, please check with the U.S. Department of State’s website here:
- U.S. Department of State Foreign Per Diem Rates
- The breakdown is as follows: breakfast 20%, lunch 30%, and dinner 50% of the per diem per meal.
- Per diem rates outside of the 48 contiguous states are calculated in conjunction with the Department of State's "Maximum Travel Per Diem Allowances For Foreign Areas" which is published monthly.
For C-CoMP events we will make arrangements for lodging and pay the hotel directly.
C-CoMP team members not affiliated with WHOI must have a Travel Expense Voucher submitted on their behalf (after review and signature), accompanied by itemized receipts. The completed Travel Expense Voucher and itemized receipts must be submitted to C-CoMP within 30 days of the traveler’s return from each C-CoMP related trip to qualify for reimbursement.